First trip to SouthEast Asia: Singapore and Tioman Island (Malaysia). DAY 1

On August 26th my plane left from Bilbao to Frankfurt and then off to Singapore. 12 hours later I was in this incredible city, ready to discover everything it could offer me. For the next 5 days I enjoyed every hour, every minute, and got enraptured by the contrast, the architecture, the life, the cuisine and the soul of Singapore.

I have many stories to tell, so I will write a different post for each of the days of this amazing journey.

DAY 1, Wednesday 27th:

I took the MRT around 9am towards Marina Bay and walked, almost on my own, around the Marina Bay Sands Hotel area, saw the marvelous ArtScience museum and crossed the Helix Bridge. The skyline from Marina Bay was awesome, revealing a very new and modern city. It was still early so I was able to walk around the area almost in silence and took some great pictures. But, as the dark clouds were getting closer I decided to go to a less open area and took the MRT to Chinatown.

Marina Bay

Under the rain I discovered the buoyant area of Chinatown, visiting some of the most beautiful temples I have ever seen. Without any doubt, the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple was the most amazing of all. It was breathtaking.

Buddha Tooth Relic Temple

Buddha Tooth Relic Temple

I ate a miso soup and some noodles with dumplings at a food court for only 3SGP$, I think it might be the cheapest food I have ever eaten. Awesome.

After buying some Chinese crafts I took the MRT to Little India, and suddenly felt like I had travelled from one country to another. OMG. What a change. Serangoon Road and the surrounding streets were full of people, full of little shops and the vibrant atmosphere was incredible. I crossed a little fruit and flower market and felt like I was in New Delhi. Not that I have ever been to India, but… you know what I mean. I also visited the beautiful temples of Sakya Muni Buddha Gaya and Sri Srinivasa Perumal.

Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple

Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple

As it had stopped raining, I decided to walk towards the Arab Quarter and visited the Sultan Mosque. Again, I found surprising the quicker the atmosphere and the architecture changed from one neighborhood to another. From Buddhist temples to Hindu temples, to mosques. From saris to hiyabs…

Sultan Mosque

By 6pm I had visited everything I wanted for my first day in Singapore and went to my friend’s house to rest. After a swim in the pool we went for dinner to a dim sum restaurant in Dhoby Ghaut. I tried pork liver…it was weird…but not bad!

We had a drink at the terrace and went to sleep. First day in Singapore, DONE!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s